About Metaphysical / Metaphysics Degree Accreditation

IMHS stands out from all the rest in a way that grandpa stood out among other men. It has the age of wisdom, the experience of common sense, and the loving passion to teach me to grow from the hidden potential within. You don’t just learn, you live. —Ken H., California

Are these "Real" Degrees?

Doctoral Metaphysics PhD Degree Program. Metaphysics degrees. Metaphysical degrees.Yes, IMHS degrees are "real" degrees; they are simply different than traditional degrees. This does not make them less valid or less legal; it makes them different.

"The degree programs of this college are designed solely for religious vocations" as outlined in Chapter 246.084 of the Florida Statutes. IMHS degrees are religious (non-secular) in nature and are granted by the authority of the International Church of Metaphysical Humanism, Inc. (ICMH), a religious organization authorized by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to conduct religiously-based training. Secular and non-secular degrees are different and designed for different purposes. A PhD in chemistry cannot be compared with a PhD in metaphysics. They exist for two different purposes. The former is a secular PhD, the latter is a non-secular PhD. One is designed for scientific research in a certain field (such as chemistry), the other is designed more for educational and remedial purposes in helping people spiritually. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other. They are just different.

Which is better, an apple or an orange? A car or a pickup truck? A train or a plane? The truth is, they are neither better nor worse; they are just different and used for different purposes. As such, our non-secular degrees cannot be used in place of an academic (secular) degree to secure employment when an academic degree is required, but they are invaluable to those who wish to pursue alternative careers (or second careers) in religious or metaphysics-related fields. IMHS degrees are legal and bona-fide degrees that must be earned. Life experience, while invaluable, cannot be applied to any degree or substituted for any course. If you desire a traditional academic degree that can be used to secure traditional employment, please choose a federally recognized and accredited university or college.

The legal right to practice many aspects of metaphysics such as counseling, social work, healing, and others is dependent on the metaphysician having a bona-fide ordination or ministerial license in a spiritual or religious organization. Therefore, all IMHS graduates who specialize in Metaphysical Ministry, Spiritual Counseling, Life Coaching, Holistic Healing, or Hypnosis must be ordained through a bona-fide religious organization or receive ordination as associate ministers with the International Church of Metaphysical Humanism, Inc. (included in the degree program). Your IMHS degree gives you the necessary training and your ordination gives you the legal right to practice metaphysics in the spirit of Do No Harm. Other specializations that IMHS offers are considered lay specializations and are not ministerial in nature.

About Accreditation

Metaphysics Degree Accreditation InformationIt is important for prospective students to understand that academic degrees and non-academic degrees are different in nature and, therefore, cannot be viewed in the same way regarding accreditation. Since our degrees are religious and non-secular or non-academic in nature, they are not accredited by any academic or governmental accrediting agency and cannot be transferred to traditional academic colleges or universities. Actually, there are no federally recognized accrediting agencies for metaphysical degrees. Therefore, metaphysics-related schools (including alternative health schools) must use third-party accrediting agencies for accreditation. These non-federal agencies are free to establish their own accrediting criteria and have varying standards of quality. Rather than accept a potentially lower educational standard, IMHS has chosen to accredit its courses through its sister organization, the International Metaphysical Practitioners Association (IMPA). IMPA promotes high educational standards in that only high-quality content must be used in courses, degrees must be earned through diligent study, transcripts must be maintained indefinitely and available upon the student's request, and strict records are to be maintained regarding student educational activity while the courses are taken.

The point of this discussion is that, while accreditation sounds good on paper, it really doesn't mean much with regard to degrees and courses that are outside of an academic university or college setting. There is no such thing as accreditation in the traditional sense for metaphysical schools. In fact, many established academic institutions do not have federal accreditation.

ICMH schools including IMHS are privately accredited but are not federally accredited. Therefore, students cannot use federal grants, student loans, or military funding for their IMHS degree tuition. However, we do offer scholarship programs with reduced tuition rates in an effort to help as many as possible to get the education they desire.

While accreditation is important to some people, prospective students of metaphysics degrees are encouraged to consider a particular school's policies on quality, and focus on whether the curriculum meets their individual needs. And by the way, this honest and forthright discussion of accreditation is just one more reason to choose IMHS for your metaphysics degree.

Apostille Certification for International Students

International students may have their degree program diploma and ministerial credential certified by Apostille when graduating provided they live in a country that recognizes the Hague Convention of 1961 for authenticating documents for use in foreign countries. If the student's country does not recognize the Hague Convention, he or she can get a Certificate of Notarial Authority. A fee of $150 applies for either Apostille certification or Certificate of Notarial Authority for the first document and $50 each for any additional documents.We do not provide translation services (if required), nor do we send the credential to the Consulate of the student's country for approval (if required), nor do we advise on what may or may not be required for the student's country. Therefore, please do an online search or consult the appropriate department within your government for more information.